Prince Andrew: Met Police taking 'no further action' after reviewing sexual assault claims

The force had assessed a document released in August 2021 as part of Virginia Giuffre's US lawsuit against the Duke of York, as well as allegations that British socialite Ghislaine Maxwell - Jeffrey Epstein's former girlfriend - trafficked, groomed and abused women and girls in the UK.


The Metropolitan Police is taking no further action after reviewing allegations connected to Prince Andrew and Jeffrey Epstein.

The force had assessed a document released in August 2021 as part of Virginia Giuffre's US lawsuit against the Duke of York.


Ms Giuffre is suing him for allegedly sexually assaulting her when she was a teenager - allegations which he denies.


She claims she was forced to have sex with Prince Andrew in London in 2001 after being trafficked to the UK by the duke's former friend Jeffrey Epstein.

She was 17 years old at the time - a minor under US law.

Metropolitan Police Commissioner Dame Cressida Dick was asked about the lawsuit in August and said she had instructed officers to again review allegations connected to Epstein, who died in prison in 2019 while facing charges of sex trafficking.


In reference to the claims about Prince Andrew, she had said "no one is above the law".

The Met also completed its review into allegations that British socialite Ghislaine Maxwell - the late Epstein's former girlfriend - trafficked, groomed and abused women and girls in the UK, which were first reported by Channel 4 News.

The force said it "reviewed information passed to us by a media organisation in June 2021" and decided "no further action will be taken".


Met Police officers will continue to communicate with other law enforcement agencies which are leading the investigation into matters associated with Epstein.

The Sunday Times reported that officers had contacted Ms Giuffre, but the Met said it was unable to disclose this type of information.

Last week, a US judge agreed for Prince Andrew's lawyers to receive a copy of a 2009 settlement they believe will defeat Ms Giuffre's civil case.